This is an easy yeasted milk bun recipe perfect for greasy weekend burgers (but full of wholegrain goodness, of course!).
- 300g spitfire wholewheat flour
- 325g high extraction baker’s flour
- 12g salt
- 230g warm water
- 270g full cream milk
- 30g honey
- 12g yeast
- 50g softened salted butter
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Mix the salt and flour together in a large bowl. Add the water, milk, yeast, honey and butter and mix together with your hand. Once the dough starts to form, knead the dough gently for 30 seconds (bring the outer edge of the dough into the middle and work it down, rotating the bowl around so that all sides of the dough have been folded in). Cover the bowl and leave at warm room temperature for 45 minutes
- Wet one hand and complete four folds, imagining that the dough has four sides that can folded into the middle. Cover and leave for 45 minutes.
- The dough should be smoother by now and risen slightly. Fold the dough and leave for 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 9 pieces on a lightly floured surface. Cup your hands behind one of the dough pieces and slide it towards you. As the dough slides, the side of the dough closest to you will tuck underneath itself, creating tension. Give the dough a quarter turn and repeat this sliding action. It should only take 4 or 5 turns to achieve a smooth round dough piece. Do the same with the other dough pieces. Cover and leave the dough rounds on the floured surface for 30 minutes.
- Shape the dough rounds by caging a dough piece with a lightly floured hand and making short circular motions. Your fingers should be firm with your fingertips brushing lightly against the bench. The aim is to create tension by using the surface as the friction point. You should be able to form a smooth round in 5-6 circular motions. Do the same with the remaining dough rounds and place the buns smooth side up on a lined tray. Cover and leave to prove for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. Place a shallow tray of water in the oven to create a steamy environment.
- Just before you bake, lightly whisk the egg with milk to make the eggwash. Brush the buns with the wash and lightly sprinkle over sesame seeds.
- Place the buns in the oven and bake for approximately 17-20 minutes or until golden. You can remove the tray of water after 10 minutes. Enjoy!